Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I Learned to Spin!

I had so much fun in Eugene, OR this past weekend at The Black Sheep Gathering.  I drove down on Thursday with my friends, Marita & Monica.  It was a beautiful day and we were all excited about our girls' weekend :)  I had never been to Eugene before and I was charmed by the beauty and friendliness of the town.  The festival itself was at the Lane County Fairgrounds a short drive from our hotel.  I LOVED everything about it!  Seeing the all the different sheep and starting to grasp the differences between them and their wool was a beginning to finding my way to what breed I may want to keep when we move to Friday Harbor full time.  The marketplace was full of talented people that were friendly and knowledgeable who were willing to talk to a newbie to the spinning universe AND they all had really cool stuff that I wanted to buy.  My budget kept me somewhat in control but I had to splurge a little ;)  The highlight of my weekend was learning to spin.  Connie Paulsen of Spindlewood Co. was so patient, kind and fun to sit with.  She stuck with me until I was comfortable enough to think I might be able to spin on my own with my beautiful new spindle that was hand-turned by her talented husband, Steve.  In my next post I will share the beautiful roving I bought and the results of my first yarnmaking adventure.

No comments: